Curriculum News & Resources
Whole Body Listening
What is Whole Body Listening ?
It is more than just "hearing" with the ears. It includes:
- *listening with the eyes (looking at the speaker)
- *listening with the ears (both ears ready to hear)
- *listening with the mouth (quiet - no talking, humming or making sounds)
- *listening with the hands (quietly at the side of the body or in the lap)
- *listening the the feet (standing still or quietly on the floor)
- *listening with the body (facing the speaker)
- *listening with the brain (thinking about what the speaker is saying)
- *listening with the heart (caring about what the speaker is saying)
Respectful Weston Communicators
In health class, grade 1 and grade 2 students learned how to be "Respectful Weston Communicators".
Mrs. Hahn, Ms. Hodgdon and Mrs. McGilvray teamed up to help students learn the importance of communication.
Students practiced making eye contact, saying a greeting, having a conversation by staying on topic and taking turns. After ending their conversations they needed to practice giving each other a farewell.
Greetings (who, where, how and why=respect and welcoming in our learning environment)
How to start and have a conversation (eye contact, body control, on topic, taking turns)
Farewells (ending a conversation, or saying goodbye)
Parent/ Student/ Teacher Talk Time
Choose one or two of the following prompts to ask your child/student at the end of each day. This will help to build school - home conversations.
*Teach me something you learned today. Pretend you are the teacher and I'm you.
*Tell me how you were a flexible learner today.
*What skill did you learn today that you think you will need for your career? How will you use it?
*Tell me about a mistake you made today. What did you learn from it?
*Tell me about a responsible choice you made today. What happened because of it?
*Why did you choose the book you are reading? Tell me what you enjoy about it.
*What problem did you have today and how big was that problem. (Big, Little, Glitch)?
*What skill did you practice in Math today? How do you plan to get better at it?
*What is one fun thing you did today?